Indiana University, B.A.
Indiana University, M.A.
Indiana University, Ph.D.(1978)
Ball State University, 1978 to present.
General Research & Interest
- General: Genetics and Cellular development.
Genetics of ciliated protozoa, mechanisms of cellular development and surface pattering in ciliated protozoa (Oxytricha), and the role performed structure in non-nuclear inheritance.
Courses Currently Teaching
Biology and Human Concerns (BIO 298 Honors)
Genetics (BIO 214)
Human Genetics and the Problems of Humanity (BIO 453/553)
Advanced Genetics (BIO 452/552)
- Mertens, T.R. and R.L.Hammersmith, 2001 Genetics Laboratory Investigations , 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Mertens, T.R. and R.L.Hammersmith, 1998. Genetics Laboratory Investigations, 11th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Hammersmith, R.L. and T.R.Mertens, 1997. Tradescantia : A tool for teaching meiosis. The American Biology Teacher 59 (5): 300-304.
- Seegmiller, A., K.R. Williams, R.L.Hammersmith, T.G.Doak, D.Witherspoon, T.Messic, L.L. Storjohann, and G.Herrick, 1996. Internal Eliminated Sequences Interrupting the Oxytricha 81 Locus: Allelic Divergence, Conservation, Conversions, and Possible Transposon Origins. Molecular Biology and Evolution 13 (10): 1351-1362.